If you have fish, then you will have turtles. Very often managed ponds will get overpopulated with turtles because of the increased food source. Thinning the turtle numbers is as easy as dropping in one of our Pond King Turtle Traps. Our sun-bathing trap consists of an all welded aluminum frame and flippers with stainless steel hinges.
The cage is made from coated galvanized panels and the floats are molded vinyl fenders. These maintenance-free materials come together to produce a floating turtle trap that will be there season after season. These live traps will hold up to 50 adult turtles with the wide flippers preventing any escape.
Turtle Facts to Help you Catch More Turtles
The Pond King Floating Turtle Trap is most effective when the water is cooler and turtles are looking to get up and sunbathe. Expect higher numbers at first and a declining catch as turtles are removed. We have seen as many as 125 turtles removed from a 1 acre pond in one season.
The turtle you are most likely to catch is commonly referred to as the Red-eared Slider. These turtles are considered omnivorous, consuming juvenile fish, aquatic insects, tadpoles, snails, crawfish, dead animals, and plants. They will consume fish food readily, but the major problem they pose is the destruction of spawning beds of both bluegill and bass. A single female will lay 1-3 clutches of 4-23 eggs each during a season, so keep your Pond King Floating Turtle Trap in year round to keep the numbers of Red-eared Slider turtles in check.
(Please note, this trap was not designed to catch snapping turtles as they don’t usually come up to sun themselves.)
Pond King Floating Turtle Trap Standard Features
Our sunbathing floating turtle trap consists of an all welded aluminum frame and flippers with stainless steel hinges. The 23″x 25″x 16″ cage is made with coated galvanized panels and the floats are molded vinyl fenders.
Pond King Floating Turtle Trap ships free in the continental U.S.
Turtle Trap Shipping Information
Turtle Trap Specifications
Turtle Trap FAQ
- Unpack welded box frame and cage.
- Attach vinyl floats with 3/8” bolts, large washers and tube bushings.
- Attach flippers to hinges on the frame with small stainless screws and nuts.
Download the complete assembly instructions
- The Pond King Floating Turtle Trap is shipped to you FREE via UPS Ground. Shipping Box Dimensions: 28″x 28″x 16″and weighs 28 lbs.
- Size: 23″ x 25″ x 16″ Coated Galvanized Cage
- Empty Weight: 28 pounds
- Capacity: Holds up to 50 adult turtles
- Materials: Aluminum Frame, Stainless Steel Hinges, Molded Vinyl Fenders
- Warranty: The Pond King Floating Turtle Trap carries a 5 year warranty on the frame/welds.
- What type of turtles will the floating turtle trap catch? The Pond King turtle trap can catch a variety of turtles, but the most common one you will find in your trap is the Red-eared slider. This trap is not designed to catch snapping turtles.
- How does the turtle trap work? When turtles climb up to reach the warmth of the sun, they fall into the trap and are unable to climb back out.
- How do I set the turtle trap? To set the turtle trap in smaller ponds, you will need two ropes and a stake. One rope should be approximately 3′ longer than your water depth (to attach a weight to and use as an anchor) and one at least 30′ long for moving the trap in and out of the water.
- For more information, please visit our Turtle Trap FAQs.